Varsity Football’s Season ends with a loss to Oxford

A promising season comes to a close with a 38-17 loss.

Arguably one of the best years in West Bloomfield football history ended on Friday, October 25th, after the team fell at home to the Oxford Wildcats, 38-17. Although it technically was not a playoff game, whichever team won was a virtual lock for the playoffs and the loser’s season was over.

The Lakers (5-3 entering the game) kept it close with Oxford (4-4 entering the game), as the score was 21-17 in favor of the Wildcats at halftime. In the second half, though, West Bloomfield crumbled under a severe defensive collapse; Oxford scored 17 unanswered points in the second half, propelling them to a solid victory.

A win would have secured West Bloomfield only their third playoff berth and school history, and there was a real chance they could have made the playoffs. With a real band of talented players, it was not out of the question as to if they could make the playoffs or not.

Despite the loss and the end of a promising season, the Lakers head coach and teacher Mr. Ron Bellamy was very happy with the team. “We return a lot next year,” Bellamy said in an interview with MIPrepZone.com, “I told the seniors that their job was to have a winning season and put this school and this team back on the map. I couldn’t be more proud of my guys.”

The student section had a great showing, as well. Despite sub-40 degree temperatures, the student section was full with loud fans bundled up in warm clothes. It was a green out, and it was clear to fans that the students went all out. Overall, the general consensus seems to be that this year’s student section was better than almost any other student section West Bloomfield has had in a very long time.