Spring into Action

Kylie Harmala, Writer

March 13th marked the start of the final sports season for the 2022-2023 school year. Sports like baseball, soccer, and track and field are ready to make their comeback. While the recent snowy weather may overcome any hope for an early spring, spring sports are prepared to be in full swing.

Zachary Hilbers, a long-time teacher and coach at the high school, is excited for the track and field season this year. Over the past ten years, Hilbers has been highly involved with the high school’s athletics programs. Speaking about his favorite parts about coaching a spring sport,

“Other than the warmer weather and the sun, just kinda being busy and it makes your days and weeks go by quicker.”

March 13th is the start date for many of the spring sports, but make sure to check the athletic website for specific times and tryout information. Some sports are just now wrapping up tryouts and will be jumping into regular season practices this week.

However, before you can prepare for the first days of the season, you need to have an up to date physical on file. Each student’s physical should be dated after April 15th, 2022 to be accepted. The link to submit necessary forms was sent to all students by email. 

Skyla Rojas is a tenth grade student on the track and field team. She runs long distance and is excited to begin her second high school season.

“I am very excited to start track and field this year,” says Rojas, “I love when we get to start competing at meets after spring break.”

The start of spring sports is not only a long anticipated moment for the athletes, but signifies the school year starting to come to a close for all students, especially seniors. As May approaches many seniors will be celebrating their senior night and preparing for championships, finals, and state level competitions for their sports. So, whether you’re a spring athlete or not, make sure to check the athletic calendar so you can support all of your classmates and teammates at their spring sport. 

To discover the dates of all upcoming sporting events, click here: https://westbloomfieldathletics.com/events