Students and community members join together to celebrate 6th annual Family Fun Night

Photo Source: Jo Fogarasi

Photo Source: Jo Fogarasi

Emma Lundgren and Jo Fogarasi

WBHS students, staff members, and West Bloomfield residents gathered in the High School’s parking to celebrate the 6th annual Family Fun Night, hosted by the West Bloomfield School District, On Friday September 9th.

Surrounded by music and conversation, guests could enjoy bounce houses, face painting, tattoos, video games and a photo booth among many other fun activities. Along with the festivities, organizations such as the WBEF, Blessings in A Backpack, WB Parks and Recreation, and Rotary Club held booths to promote themselves in the community. The West Bloomfield fire department, police department and representatives of the military were present and honored throughout the night for their outstanding service.

img_1280

“The purpose of Family Fun Night is to give the community a chance to come together and kind of hang out and celebrate going back to school,” said WBHS Principal Pat Watson. “We’re really excited that we have so many different groups here and kids from throughout the district. It is just something for everyone to be a part of.”

Mrs. Julie Beaty, a member of the school board and a founder of Family Fun Night, said, “This is extremely important for our community because it brings us all together in a free fun environment for our students to be welcomed back into the school year, and all of our community members, who give so much, able to come to one place and for people to recognize them. But most importantly it’s to recognize the men and women of uniform who put their lives on the line everyday to protect us.”

img_1263

Students that attended the event felt similar to the adults there. Ilyssa Brunhild, a senior at WBHS, said,“I’ve been attending family fun night since my freshman year, and my favorite part is getting to see the community come out and come together for this special event.”

img_1282

Francis Brenner, a sophomore at WBHS said, “I only started attending family fun night last year, but I really had fun last year seeing all the highschoolers and members of the community coming out and being able to see all these different groups, the police department, the military and school groups being able to all get recognition.”

img_1271

The festivities came to an end as the Varsity Lakers’ game against Lake Orion began, but students and community members left with many memories. Overall, Family Fun Night was a huge success. It was full of families, snow cones, and lots of fun.