On-Site College Admissions: An “Overwhelmingly Happy” Occasion for Seniors

on-site

College applications. For many seniors, this is the most stressful part of high school. The essays. The forms. The transcripts. And worst of all, the waiting.

At West Bloomfield High School, however, students were given a unique opportunity to be admitted on-the-spot at twelve Michigan colleges and universities during the sixth annual On-Site Admissions Day.

The traditional college application process involves filling out an application, sending it electronically to the admission office, and anxiously waiting several weeks to hear back.

Where On-Site Admissions differs is that students were given the opportunity to meet face-to-face with admissions officers, and get accepted within minutes. In addition, over $100,000 of scholarships were given out, including some full-ride scholarships. For the 138 students that attended, this opportunity proved beyond beneficial.

“I feel like meeting with the person of admissions is more face-to-face, and I get a feel of who’s at the school, and what the school is like when I talk to that person,” said Roshell Quarker, a senior who got accepted into Central Michigan University at On-Site Admissions.

Personality is something that is lacking in a traditional college application, and being able to sell yourself is what Diara Walker enjoyed most about on-sites: “I think talking to the people and giving more information about yourself is better than…being through a computer and somebody reading about me.”

Diara Walker got accepted into Western Michigan University as well as Grand Valley State University.
Diara Walker got accepted into Western Michigan University as well as Grand Valley State University at On-Site Admissions.

The admissions officers also see the incredible benefits presented at on-sites. “We really enjoy this because it gives us a little more personalized approach to what we’re looking for,” said Ray Wilson, the Assistant Director of Admissions at Central Michigan University. “For the students who are looking at multiple schools, I think this really benefits them, because they can have that one-on-one conversation a little bit better…[and] you have the opportunity to build that relationship as you go through and talk to someone and ask your specific questions.”

Misty Sparrow of Eastern Michigan University agrees: “It eases nerves, you get to ask all the questions you may have had, instead of waiting for a correspondence to come through the mail. It just makes it a much simpler process for students, too.”
It was not only simpler for students, but a far better experience than the “traditional” process. West Bloomfield High School counselor Mrs. Brody sums up the day best, describing it as “overwhelmingly happy.”