WBHS students and staff run 5k

Melissa Strome

On your mark, get set, GO! West Bloomfield High School sent a bus full of students to run in a 5k at the Orchard Ridge campus of Oakland Community College (OCC). Oakland Early College and Oakland Community College students also participated in the race.

To participate in the race, runners had to donate a good to charity. The charities that participated were Gleaners Food Bank, Lighthouse of Oakland County, Orchard Children’s Service, National Council of Jewish Women, Sweet Dreamzzz, and The Michigan Humane Society. They collected about 5,000 items total!

“It was for a good cause and in the community,” Riley Philabaum, junior, said. Philabaum came in 7th overall and was the first girl to finish the race. As a cross country runner for WBHS, doing something that she loves for a great cause was an all around win-win.

The Peer Mentorship class, Leadership class and Law Club all participated on behalf of West Bloomfield High School.

“The run encouraged students to try something new and the possibility to talk and walk with new people. It encouraged people to do something outside of their normal comfort zone”, said Peer Mentorship teacher Ms. Heather Crewes.

The OCC 5k Charity Run and Walk was such a success that there will be another event in May.