Yes. Leroy Was the Pussycat Dolls’ Bodyguard

Spectrum spotlights Leroy, a security guard with a colorful past

Ben Goldman and Melissa Strome

For Spectrum’s very first Staff Spotlight, we sat down with Leroy, West Bloomfield High School’s newest security guard.

Before coming to WBHS, were you a security guard before, or is this your first year as one?

This is my first year as a security guard. I was a bodyguard, though. I worked for a friend of mine, who I did security (and) bodyguard work for… not so many famous people, the most famous one was the Pussycat Dolls.

How does being a security guard here compare to being a bodyguard for the Pussycat Dolls?

I like this job a lot better, I really do. I like the kids, we have great kids here. On the record, I like this a lot better…it doesn’t pay you much, but I don’t need money like a lot of people. I don’t have to work, but I want to, and it’s a good job. I’m here because I like the kids. Most of the faculty I like… I think everybody’s pretty good here.

What is the most rewarding part of the job?

I like hearing from you guys. I like hearing where you’re going to college, and I’d help in any way if I can.

How did you end up being a security guard here?

Well…(long pause)… do you want the short story or the long story?

Whichever one you want to tell.

Well, after my guy lost his contract for the bodyguard work… I shut my real estate business down in 2004…

You did real estate?

Yes. I had a real estate office. I had a lot of rentals, I had 70 rentals at one time. Anyhow, let’s go forward, let’s not even talk about that…

…The bodyguard work transpired because when my last real estate agent left, I went down to only one office. The guy that took over my offices was a marine and he had this bodyguard thing… In any case, I got to like him, and he asked if I could work with him and I did…

…But, anyway, after he lost his contract, a company called me about working…here. He said, “do you want this job?” and since I love kids, I said I’d come here. My wife and I, at church, were sponsors for YOU, which is from 14-18 (years old). I enjoyed them, I enjoy kids. I figured, if you’re not truthful they’d see through you… And so I said, “yeah, I’ll try that,” so I came here and they haven’t fired me yet. So that’s a good thing.

When you were in high school, what did you want to be when you were older? Did you picture yourself doing real estate, bodyguard work, and now a high school security guard?

In high school…I went to Hazel Park High School…I was leaning towards police work of some type. But then I was drafted in the army and went overseas. I played football in the army, and jumped out of planes. We were army champs.

What are your hobbies now? What do you like to do outside of school?

Now there’s an interesting question…(long pause)… When I turned 50, this was a long time ago, I…(another long pause)… What was the question again?

What are your hobbies?

Well, I don’t have a lot of hobbies, I like to work a lot. I like to travel. I went to Spain last year, the year before that I went to Greece…every year we go somewhere. This year, I’m thinking Amsterdam.

Do you have any questions of your own for Leroy? Comment them below and they may be asked in a follow-up interview!