WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Avani Samandur and Madison Ruiz

Over a hundred students from high schools across Oakland County gathered together Saturday, Feb. 25 at Troy Athens High School for the annual Troy Athens Model United Nations Conference. This conference was a great opportunity for delegates of all levels to refine their diplomacy and speaking skills!

Delegate Eriq Carey, senior, was the only West Bloomfield High School student to receive an award. He earned runner up for the Best Delegate Award in the Security Council committee.

Delegates were split into four different simulations of actual United Nation committees, based on their skill level. The beginning level committee was Economic and Social Council which focused on the Syrian Refugee Crisis. The intermediate level committees were Disarmament and International Security Committee, which focused on Nuclear Proliferation, and Social, Humanitarian & Cultural committee, which focused on the treatment of women and children in conflict zones. The advanced level committee was the security council, which deliberated and debated the Situation in Libya. Delegates also had the opportunity to send candy grams to each other at the the conference, in order to support Troy Athens’ Model United Nations club.

Senior Jenna Rainey loved the conference, saying that ““The Troy Athens Model United Nations conference was really fun because I got to practice my skills and meet people from other schools.”

For more information about the Model United Nations club and upcoming conferences, contact club sponsor Mr. Ridenour.