Student Spotlight: Michelle Varshavskiy

Student Spotlight: Michelle Varshavskiy

Sarah Long, Contributor

Michelle Varshavskiy, 16, is a West Bloomfield High School senior who maintains a 4.4 GPA while participating in her sport of choice, Rhythmic Gymnastics. As a senior, Varshavskiy is planning her future which most likely consists of this sport.

Rhythmic gymnastics is a sport that combines ballet, gymnastics, dance, and apparatus manipulation. Athletes compete in different areas including rope, hoop, ball, clubs, and ribbon. The season begins in January, lasting until July, however Varshavskiy trains all throughout the year- her life revolving around practices.

Varshavskiy practices for three hours, five days a week with the additional training sessions she worked hard to recieve. Three years ago, she spent one month in Ukraine for training. The following summer, she spent two weeks in Ukraine and Bulgaria for an intensive training program. Finally, last summer, she was in Miami for two-and-a-half weeks where she was trained by a third place athlete in the Olympics and practiced for eight hours, six days a week. 

Varshavskiy has worked immensely in her entire life to be where she is now. She says she has gained confidence and knowledge through the many years she has participated in the sport. 

“I will probably start coaching after this year to pass down everything I have learned” Varshavskiy said. She says she wants her next step to be to help others and assist them with their struggles because of her experience in training and competitions. 

Over her attendance in rhythmic gymnastics, Varshavskiy has received over 60 medals, many ribbons, 10 trophies, and a gold medal for earning first place at the junior Olympics in her floor routine. 

Varshavskiy has received many opportunities that her skills have subjected her to. Although she is unsure how big of a part this sport will have in her future, she is excited to see what the future has in store for her and where she will be in a few years.