Keepsake for the Ages

Seniors craft the Yearbook to say goodbye.

Keepsake for the Ages

The Exodus staff of West Bloomfield High School (WBHS) yearbook provides a lasting memory of high school and the seniors involved in the Yearbook class get to help create it for the entire school. The editors in chief are seniors Emily Chaben and Jillian Goldstone. Chaben says the best part of being the editor in chief is “being able to create the theme and design the book.” Twins, Mikaylah and Lakyah Tyner, are the ones who specialize in the “senior” aspect of the Yearbook. As a senior section editor,  Mikaylah Tyner’s role is to put together the area of the yearbook referred to as the “yearbook within a yearbook.”  An important part of funding the class is selling advertisements. Joshua Blackburn, a senior who has been in Yearbook for two and a half years, holds the position of advertisement editor. The rest of the senior staff members involved in the creation of Exodus are Sabrina Brogniart, Dua Malik, Zoia Naseem, Briana Lee, Omnia Abdullah, Gillian Meyers, and Seth Oldenburg.

WBHS teacher and Yearbook advisor, Noel McHardy, looks for smart and excited writers to be on the yearbook staff.  Briana Lee says incoming students need to, “be very creative and focused.”  That is not surprising considering how much dedication one must have to produce the exodus. As amazing as the final product is, the journey has its share of obstacles. Abdullah says the hardest part was when, “an idea does not work out and then you will have to make changes or come up with new ideas.”  Abdullah adds that it is good to start off with a backup plan in mind. Other challenges included working with the editing program, meeting deadlines and conducting interviews.

Senior year is a series of moments that you never want to forget. These seniors not only get to live through these moments, but they get to organize them together in the form of the yearbook. They then took a moment to look back at their time in this class and think about what they have learned. Most said that this class has improved their organization, social skills and time management. Oldenburg adds, “[The class] provided me my first opportunity to develop a program to solve a problem that wasn’t assigned to me in a programming class. It gave me a lot of experience for what I’m going to do in my career path and my later years of college.” Although they are all moving on, Yearbook has provided something that will endure in these students for years to come. Thank you for the memories, from Spectrum to the Yearbook seniors.