A Night to Remember

Ashley Thoms and Emma Lundgren

The 2015-2016 year has reached its end for seniors as school wraps up and the only event left is graduation. One of the most memorable post-school events for seniors to attend is prom, and this year, West Bloomfield High School held its annual dance on Wednesday, June 1st, 2016 at the Detroit Yacht Club on Belle Isle. Prom has been on the minds of the students not only since the spring season started and promposals popped up left and right, but since freshmen year or even possibly childhood.

To get ready for the night, many of the seniors went to get their hair, nails, and makeup done. While juniors, sophomores, and freshmen who attended as dates were unable to get ready during the school day, many seniors started their prom prep early in the morning. After everyone got fully dressed and made up, many went out with their groups to take pictures. These photos included individual, photos with dates, friends, and several as a giant group.

The event started at seven o’clock in the evening, but many people chose to arrive fashionably late. As people poured in, they started out by checking in with their student ID. Once accounted for, they were invited upstairs to find a table or take pictures by the river. Dinner started about half an hour after people showed up, and students and staff were offered a variety of food including salad, different types of pasta, bread, carved meat, and cupcakes.

After dinner, many people strolled around, choosing between a variety of activities. A photo booth was made available for students who chose to take funny pictures, and more formal pictures were taken elsewhere which were then placed inside the prom ticket key chain. Another option for students was to hit the dance floor where a DJ was playing a mix of fast and slow songs that ranged from popular to hits to a few that nobody seemed to know.

Everybody seemed to be having a great time, and when asked later, many students looked back fondly on their experience. Foreign exchange student, Rebecca Hofvander said, “I really liked prom. I went to prom in Sweden, but the American one is a bit different. I loved taking pictures with friends and dancing.” Senior Jackson Abohasira also had a great time and commented, “The food was really good and the yacht club is pretty cool. Hanging out with all my friends and classmates one last time was the best part.”

Many people started to trickle out of the building at ten, but the event did not officially end until eleven. Once the DJ stopped, people were encouraged to leave and go board their party busses and limos and go home, although many after prom activities did take place. Overall, it was great time for everyone involved and a night that all students who attended will remember for a long time.

PART_1465312941586_Resized_20160601_193114

PART_1465312950928_Resized_20160601_191831