The Student News Site of West Bloomfield High School

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

Sophomore Crushes Pyraminx Solving World Record

Taking down the opponent 0.13 seconds at a time
Shere at a competition during early 2019

West Bloomfield High School sophomore Ezra Shere has garnered attention worldwide for his exceptional talent in solving the pyraminx at record-breaking speeds. Boasting a jaw-dropping official fastest competitive average solving time of 1.51 seconds. Even reaching times as low as 0.61 seconds while at home. His influence has spread even as far as China as fans marvel at and discuss his impressive solving abilities.

Pyraminx cubing involves solving a pyramid-shaped rubix-like tetrahedral shape by strategically manipulating the positions of each of the puzzle pieces until all colors match to a side, a journey Shere claims to have begun in 2019.

“I just started one day and I couldn’t stop. It was like an addiction that fueled me to keep going.”

Self-taught by watching YouTube videos of strategies and tips, Shere decided to launch his own YouTube channel to document his pyraminx journey and to offer advice to those hoping to join competitive rubix cube competitions. His channel has amassed over one and a half thousand subscribers and over 300,000 total views as Shere’s fans and supporters flock to devour his content.

Shere has competed in over 40 rubix cube competitions from all over the US and Canada, traveling to Pennsylvania, New York, Idaho, Ontario, and even Ohio! Shere hasn’t always been a world-record beater. During his early days of cubing, it took a frustrating 20 seconds to solve a pyraminx, a number which took a lot of time and practice to conquer, Shere said. But it wouldn’t take long because in just two short years he would go on to make his first world record.

Shere recalls a major competition in New York, the where the environment lay tense. Hundreds of fellow competitors lay around him, all attempting to bag the world title. He remained tense, staring at his pyraminx, looking over every contour, gauging the most optimal series of moves as he preps his fingers to move at light speed. 

“Go!” the judge yelled. 

In a blink of an eye, the cube is solved and on the mat. 

“1.58 seconds average,” the judge announced.

Shere has not only set a new personal record, but a new world record as well.

Shere after bagging the world title

Shere would not end up being a one-hit wonder, going on to beat his records several times over, posting a screenshot in his YouTube community page showcasing his pure dominance over solving the pyraminx, labeling it “more fun statistics.” The screenshot displayed a jaw-dropping fact about his place on the leaderboard — not only does he hold a 0.13 second lead over his closest competitor — a massive lead in the pyraminx world — but his best three records are all records on their own! Shere’s post received many notable comments from fans, one YouTube user, @JudeStradtner, commenting: “Bro’s just bragging now”. Truly showcasing that Shere possesses a remarkable talent towards pyraminx solving that trumps all, placing him in a massive lead against his competition.

As the future moves forward for Shere, he has begun to shift his gaze towards the entrepreneurial world. Utilizing his love towards cubing to create murals of artwork through rubix cubes. 

“It started out as a school project but after my mom posted it to her Facebook, it really got a lot of attention and then suddenly people wanted to pay me to create murals for them.”

One of Shere’s rubix cube murals.

Shere’s story is a testament to the power of dedication and passion. He is not just a champion pyraminx solver, but an inspiration to anyone who dares to dream big and chase their goals with unwavering determination. 

https://www.youtube.com/@ezrashere