The Student News Site of West Bloomfield High School

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

Mama Mia: The Pieces of the Stage

Mama Mia, the well-known ABBA musical is making its way to the stage of West Bloomfield High School, selling upward of 1,275 tickets before opening night (that number is only increasing). The show is taking off this week with showtimes from the 25-27 at 7 pm and a 1 pm matinee on the 27. Follow Sophie as she discovers so much about herself, her Mom, and her Dads. 

But what goes into the making of a musical?  And how do these big-scale productions impact the cast and crew’s lives?

Well, starting off in February auditions brought in more than 70 cast members, the biggest group seen in a while, the production team pushed through March, building on the stage and fine-tuning every detail. The actors learned their lines and choreography, The Pit learned their music, and piece by piece this puzzle was coming together.

However, as April rolled in, it became clear how quickly opening night was coming. Despite the rush, the set was polished, the drills were packed away, and the spotlights were turned on. With the orchestra in place, and the microphones hot, tech began.

“Tech is not an easy thing,” Colton Thomas shared, “It’s long, it’s tedious, and it’s tiring, but without it there would be no show.” Tech week enters the wall of the auditorium the week of the show, it consists of extended rehearsals, stage makeup, lighting cue to cues, costumes, and working out rough spots with the orchestra. Although a tedious process, students have shown how much they have learned and grown through this experience.

Rj Haynes the leading man at Thursday’s shindig (Sky) said, “The musical has boosted my acting skills and taught me a different type of meaning for the word “family.” I have more of a Genuine connection with everyone, and nothing seems too hard because you’re doing it together.” 

Carley Law (Sophie)  further remarked, “The connections made with the cast are like no other! I’ve made friendships and gained memories that will last a lifetime” 

Right under the stage is where all the puzzle pieces start to fall into place. With tech and music, the show takes flight.

One of the main parts of a musical is the music, and the Pit Orchestra at WB brings the magic to the show.  Jonah Owen (Pit Orchestra) stated,  “My three years of Pit Band have taught me how music is more than just self-expression, it’s compromising, and changing, and piecing together something beautiful out of something smaller.” 

It takes a team to get to where this cast and crew is today; not only does a musical build a story for an audience but it builds so much more for all the participants. And if taking a small trip to Greece sounds like fun, come see Mama Mia this week on the 25th-27th, Take a chance on this enlightening experience. Do not let it Slip Through your Fingers!