The Student News Site of West Bloomfield High School

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

Choices: An Underlying Choice

Black theater has been a platform for African American artists to showcase their talent and tell their stories. From minstrel shows to the Harlem Renaissance and the civil rights movement, Black theater has played a vital role in shaping American culture. It has allowed Black artists to challenge stereotypes, address social issues, and celebrate their heritage. Black theater continues to thrive and evolve today, providing a voice for marginalized communities and shedding light on important stories. 

This past weekend on February 9 and 10th the theater department put on its first Black show “Choices” written by Detroit local, Centra Smith.  This show carefully showcased so much new (and old)  talent of students at WBHS. It carefully told a story with underlying lessons, and themes that are crucial to the everyday lives of students.  The premise of the show was that a person has a choice over their life and the choices they make. It shows how one’s choices affect others, along with the way people perceive you. 

Similarly, RJ Card a student at WBHS, and key orchestrator in bringing “Choices” to life, made a choice to present the idea of a black show to the drama director.  

He said that, “I brought the idea up to Mrs. Stephens immediately, I wanted to give many of our Black students the opportunity to be involved in our art and properly represent themselves.”  With that, the ball got rolling, the brainstorming began, and production started. Card goes on to say, “This show was a look into our lives, our communities, our stories. We had experience with what we talked about and it was real.  We showed ourselves off without stereotypes and with self-respect.” 

The importance of highlighting culture and representation in a high school setting has never been quite as clear as it was with this show. Sitting in the auditorium, with music playing and a familiar buzz of anticipation is what met the actors on stage when the curtain opened. They told a story and made it their own. They honed their characters and taught their audience their story. 

Card said, “This experience has revealed to me even more potential than I could have ever imagined at West Bloomfield. It’s shown me that my voice really does have power, and if I want something I have to speak up about it.” 

Echoing the show itself Card goes to prove change requires action. And through hard work and perseverance history can be made. This show brought proper representation and gave wider opportunities for students. It paved the way for students to feel as though they have a place and also gave them a voice and a spotlight.