Laker Sports Line

Week of February 2- February 7

@WBVarsityCheer

The Varsity Cheer team at an earlier meet this year.

The Lakers participated in a number of competitions and events this week which included Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Boys Swim and Dive, Wrestling, Cheer, and Boys Hockey.
The Girls Varsity Basketball team powered their way past the mighty Avondale Yellow Jackets on Thursday, February 5th. The Lakers bounced back this week after an ugly loss last week to Oxford to take a 39-27 victory. At the half WBHS carried a slim 15-10 lead over the Yellow Jackets, but the Lakers continued to show great team play and out scored their competition 24-17 in the second half of the game. Rachel Harnish (senior) carried the Lakers with 14 points and 3 steals and right behind her Charlika Stubbs (junior) finished with 9 points. In addition, forward, Taylor Pierce (junior) dominated the boards to conclude with 14 rebounds. The Lakers look to continue racking up wins as they face Troy High School at home on Tuesday, February 10th.

The Boys Varsity Hockey team were busy at work this week as they took two back to back victories. The first match took place on Friday, February 6th as they took the Crestwood High School Chargers. The Lakers scored one goal in each the first and second periods and continued to seal the game in the third by scoring 3 goals. The game concluded in a 5-1 victory over the Chargers. Cameron Dickinson (junior) and Sean Wigler (senior) each found the back of the net twice and Andre Kilpela (junior) finished with one goal. The Lakers had little rest before taking on Avondale High School the next day. The Lakers scored 2 goals in the first and one in the second only to erupt in the third period with 4 goals, giving them a 7-0 victory over the Yellow Jackets. Andre Kilpela, Daniel Kassab (sophomore), and Josh Ramsey (sophomore) scored two goals apiece and Cameron Dickinson finished with one. The goalie, Anthony Crewes (sophomore) finished with 9 saves and no goals allowed making it his second shutout of the season. The Lakers improved to 12-5-2 and look to take on Birmingham United on Thursday, February 12th.
The Boys Varsity Basketball team matched up against Oxford High School on Friday, February 6th and took a huge victory. The Lakers dominated their competition all throughout the match to take a 26 point, 70-44, victory. Guard, Trishton Jackson (junior) managed to score 22 points and grab 6 rebounds and center, Zach Allread (senior) scored 13 points with 8 rebounds. The WBHS Freshman Boys Basketball team followed in Varsity’s footsteps as they took a 56-29 victory over Oxford. The team was led by Niko Mosley’s (freshman) 17 points and every player managed to score. The Varsity and Freshman teams look forward to taking on Stoney Creek High School on Monday, February 9th.
The Varsity Wrestling team strapped on their head gear and attended an Individual League Tournament on Friday, February 6th. The Lakers fought hard throughout the meet and finished in 2nd place just 6 points behind Southfield High School (WBHS had beaten Southfield earlier in the year). WBHS’ first place finalists consisted of Matt Gudeneau (senior), Justin Hollins (senior) and Deshawn Cole (senior). Alex Pallazola (sophomore), Mario Pallazola (freshman) and Matt Taub (junior) took second place and Brandon Munson (freshman) and Paul Kamash (senior) took third place. On Saturday, February 7 the JV Wrestling team competed in an Individual League Tournament at Royal Oak High School. Rahsaan Leonard (junior) and Destin Belger (freshman) each finished in first, Bryce Klein (junior) finished in second, and Barr Shlagman (freshman) and Scott Budka (freshman) finished in third.
This past week the Varsity and JV Cheer teams fought for an OAA White Division League title against five other schools. The Lakers had an outstanding performance as they concluded with a final score of 2093.42 and a first place title. The championship consisted of three competitions of which the Lakers broke their season record in the third as they scored 722.42. The JV Cheer team also took home a gold medal.
The Boys Swim and Dive team participated in the Oakland County Championship on Saturday, February 7th. The championship consisted of 24 schools from across the country and 12 different individual and team events. WBHS finished with a final score of 119 to get them into a solid 9th place.

Special Mentions:
Madison Hartz was given the Laker of the year for the 2014 Equestrian season award on Monday, January 26. Congratulations, Madison!
On Wednesday, February 4th seven WBHS Varsity Football seniors signed their National Letters of Intent (NLI) which made it the largest WBHS Football signing class in history. The athletes and universities included Obbie Jackson (CB) to Western Michigan, Eddie Wilson (DE) to Perdue, Justin Hollins (DT) and Jalen Lewis (DE) to Wayne State, Michael King (WR/RB) to Saginaw Valley State, Marcellus Mitchell (WR/DB) to Lake Erie, and Josh Jackson (LB/DE) to Walsh. Go Lakers!