Laker Sports Line

Week of March 23- March 28

This week marked an exciting beginning to the spring sports season. Boys and girls lacrosse and boys baseball were in action this week and kicked off their season with a bang.

March 26th was the Varsity Lakers first baseball game, and they could not have started the season any stronger than they did. With a four inning 18-3 mercy against Waterford Mott High School (WMHS), the Lakers had an offensive burst in the 3rd and 4th inning, producing 15 runs in between just those two. Chandler Sedat (senior) took the mound and had a beautiful start against Mott with 9 strikeouts and only letting up one Earned Run (ER) in his outing. The Lakers were hot when swinging the sticks on the offensive end. Robbie Jones (senior) had 4 Runs Batted In (RBI) and a triple on the day. Skylar Jeppesen (junior) had a base hit and 2 RBIs, Zach Allread (senior) went 2-4, hitting .500 on the day, and was able to leg out a triple. He also drove in a pair to add on to the Laker’s lead. But the Lakers were not done as Clay Kowalewski (senior) went 2-3 with a double and 2 RBIs. In their second game against Mott, the Lakers were ahead 4-1 when, unfortunately, due to darkness, the game was called after 3 innings. On the 30th, the Lakers took on Livonia Franklin High School (LFHS) and to the enjoyment of the Laker fans, took their second win of the season to improve their record to 2-0. Robbie Jones was given the ball on the mound, and he did not disappoint. Jones went 6 innings and only allowed one ER and was able to acquire his first win of this season. Deshawn Cole (senior) came in in the seventh looking to get his first save. Cole was lights out, as he struck out three batters to finish off LFHS and collect the Laker’s second win. Here is what the Lakers did offensively. Robbie Jones 2-2 with a run scored and an RBI, Zach Allread 2-4 with a run scored and Aaron Moskovitz 1-3 with an RBI. March 30th also marked the start of the Varsity softball season. They took a whopping loss with a final score of 16-1. Although it was brutal first game, it was only the start of the season and there is much time improve.  The JV baseball squad also took the field on March 30th against Livonia Franklin. Preston Gee (sophomore) went 3-4 on the day and was the leading hitter. Jack Budde (freshman) was also hot at the plate, going 2-3 with a sac fly and a triple. Nick Seidel (freshman) went 1-3 that day and was able to work the pitcher and got a walk. Kyle Crane (sophomore), Alex Palazola (sophomore), and Aaron Lewis (sophomore) were all 1-3 on the day. Despite their offensive efforts, the JV Lakers could not muster up a win against the Patriots. The final score of the game was 6-9, the Lakers with the loss. They now have a record of 0-1, but it is still early in the season, and there is much time for improvement.

The Varsity Girls Lacrosse team got off onto a slow start to kick off their season. They first took on Northville High School and fell victim to a 20-9 loss on Monday, March 23. Northville remained in control throughout the entirety of the match, as WBHS struggled to impede Northville’s offense. Amanda Wigler (junior) finished with 1 goal, Taylor Cantelon (senior) had 2 goals, Rachel Harnish (senior) had 3 goals & 1 assist, Audrey Shaw (senior) had 2 goals, and Kate Froling (sophomore) had 1 goal. The Lakers then hit the road to Dexter, but finished with a similar 22-11 loss. Rachel Harnish had 4 goals and 2 assists, Hilary Basel (junior) had 1 goal, Audrey Shaw had 2 goals, Amanda Wigler had 1 goal and 1 assist, Tehya Monarch (junior) had 1 goal, Kate Froling had 2 goals, and Ashley Thoms (junior) had 11 saves. It is still very early in the season and this young lacrosse team has a great potential.

The Boys Varsity lacrosse team sprung into action against Bedford High School for their first game of the season on Thursday, March 26. Unfortunately, Bedford proved to be too much for the Lakers and overpowered them on defense to finish with the 9-4 loss. Josh Averbuch (senior) finished with 3 goals and Jarrel Ku (senior) had 1. The JV team also fought hard against Bedford High, but fell short on offense, to finish with the narrow 4-0 loss. The JV team then faced off against rival Walled Lake Central (WLC) on Saturday, March 28. Once again, the Lakers struggled and fell 9-2. Braedon Somers (sophomore) scored the team’s two scores.

Come back for more sporting scores and updates!