Spotlight On Serena Hoost

Avani Samandur and Lauryn Azu

Serena Hoost is making headlines with her hard work and her dedication to success. Hoost is graduating a year early, with the class of 2016 rather than the class of 2017. Hoost had to work extremely hard for this, by doing extra chemistry and biology credits at home so that she could take other classes in school to get ahead. Hoost started the Health Science Club at West Bloomfield High School (WBHS), which allowed her and other students to get involved in the Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) competition. Hoost also spent two months of the summer between her sophomore and junior year in Bethesda, Maryland, as she had an internship at the National Institutes of Health.

Although she took numerous classes at an accelerated level, Hoost feels that everyone should take classes at their own pace. She says that “It’s not as important to move fast than to move at your own pace.” Even though Hoost’s pace is faster than most at her grade level, this is still some great advice. In the future Hoost plans to major in something related to biological sciences or human biology, and then go to medical school to study to become a doctor.  

Many students ask Hoost about what exactly took her to where she is now. One piece of advice she has given to her fellow students who admire her path is to have a great mentor. Hoost was lucky to find a great mentor in her own father. As her mentor, her father is there to look out  for opportunities with her, to help her with her applications, and anything else that she may need. According to her, “ my dad has been a great mentor to me . . .  not only to help me decide what I wanted to do, but also how to get there. If you’re doing it all on your own, you’re gonna make a lot more mistakes, you might miss opportunities just for not knowing about them. My best advice is to get help from other people. Find people who are in a place you would like to be and ask them how to get there.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Hoost would like to thank Ms. Liza Zanotti for being an amazing teacher, and for sponsoring the Health Science Club. As Lakers let’s all wish Serena Hoost, along with the rest of the class of 2016, the best of luck in their endeavors!