Laker Lacrosse Looking to Make Improvements

Lakers look to get first win of the season at first home game

Ryan Horwitz

The Laker Lacrosse season is off to a start, so far two games in to the season.

On Friday, March 24th, the JV and Varsity teams had their first games of the season against Utica Ford. Freshmen Sam Hughes and Sverre Sears played very well for the first game, scoring 4 and 3 goals respectively. Juniors Jordan Beletskiy and Mitchell Shaw also pitched in with 1 goal each. The Lakers totaled up 9 goals, but it was not enough to beat Utica Ford, who scored 14. Varsity followed this game and also lost to Utica’s varsity squad with a final score of 15-1. The only goal was scored by Josh Plyer, a senior captain on the team.

After a weekend of rest, the Lakers were back at it and journeyed out to Waterford Mott High School for away game number two on Monday, March 27th. The Lakers were led offensively by Sears with a hat trick, the only three goals for West Bloomfield. The Lakers allowed 11 goals, however Cotlon Shore, the freshman goalie, had 7 saves in the contest. Varsity took the field after and like JV, lost to Mott, with a final score of 22-5. Plyer again struck, scoring a goal this game, along with fellow senior captain Kyle Prewitt, who has committed to play at Chatham University in Pennsylvania, scoring 2 for the Lakers. Junior Ari Felhandler tacked on an additional 2 goals for West Bloomfield, adding up to 5. Both teams unfortunately saw a collapse in defense and communication, resulting in 2 losses that day.

Today the Lakers have their first home games against Chelsea High School. JV will be playing at 5:30 and Varsity at 7. After the past two games and focusing on weak points during practice, the Lakers look to turn things around and walk away with 2 dubs before spring break. Come out and show love to the Lakers Lacrosse teams!