DECA, DECA, DECA

Ari Felhandler and Madison Ruiz

West Bloomfield High School stole the show at Michigan DECA’s state competition at the Cobo Convention Center in the heart of Detroit. Some of West Bloomfield’s best writers, speakers, and salesmen/saleswomen worked tirelessly to prepare for their written projects, presentations, and role plays.

While in Detroit, students visited the popular Punch Bowl Social for food, bowling, and bonding time with the chapter. With down time, students were able to roam about the city and able to experience the City of Detroit at first hand.

The DECA States competition proved to be a historic one. These Laker champions exceeded all previous West Bloomfield High School records with an outstanding 51 state champions who qualified for the DECA International Conference.

Participants raved about the weekend long event. National qualifer Vietress Feller (junior) exclaimed her favorite highlight “was definitely doing karaoke with my close friends and Mrs.Evola at Punchbowl Social in Detroit! It was lots of fun and I enjoyed every second of it.” She continued to tell Spectrum that she “joined DECA because lots of my friends were in it and they loved it. At first I didn’t know what I was getting myself into but after states and internationals I learned many crucial skills.”

Another proud DECA champion for the public relations 30 page project for the UMatter campaign, Josh Cooper, stated “My passion for business at a young age got me involved in WBHS outstanding business department. Once I secured a spot in the business department our incredible advisors (Mrs. Sallen, Ms. Zalla, and Mrs. Evola) introduced me to the DECA program freshman year. I have been a member all 4 years and am honored to be serving as this years chapter president.” He continued, “I’m looking forward to having an opportunity to meet elite future leaders from all over the world and an opportunity to become a world champion.”
The DECA International Career Development Conference (ICDC) will be taking place in beautiful Anaheim, California. Good luck Lakers!