WBHS celebrates annual Activism Week

Jo Fogarasi

“Activism week is about spreading awareness for important charities in our communities, and making change,” said Tori Ramfos, a junior involved in student leadership.

From Monday April 23, to Friday April 27, West Bloomfield High School’s annual activist week was celebrated and participated by students, in order to raise awareness for the organizations in the community.

Monday was dedicated to the Kids In Need Foundation whose goal is to ensure that every child is prepared to learn and succeed in the classroom by providing free school supplies to those in need. Students were urged to bring in school supplies for donation on Monday during lunch or before school, as well as anytime throughout the week in room 204. The dressup theme was “College Day.”

Tuesday was themed “Salad Dressing Day” students dressed in country clothes, island shirts, or togas in order to represent their favorite salad dressing.  This day was themed in honor of Open Hands Food Pantry. There was also a food, toiletries, and emergency items drive on Tuesday throughout the day.

On Wednesday, Students were encouraged to wear blue for the Baldwin Center. The Baldwin Center is a nonprofit organization, whose mission is to feed, clothe, educate, and empower Pontiac as a community. Students had the opportunity to donate clean, gently-used clothing, sheets, and blankets.

On Thursday, students were able to stop by the atrium before school and pick up a piece of candy and a ribbon for awareness on mental health. Select classes went to a presentation during second hour, and everyone was available to visit a table during lunch and in order to talk about mental health, and learn how to cope with stress.

Friday closed  out the week with a USA day theme. The American Red Cross hosted a blood drive in which students 16 and older could choose to donate.

Although the week was a huge success, activism doesn’t have to stop there. Hopefully the week helped students gain insight on important issues and inspired them to make a difference. Remember, it’s never too late to make a difference!