The Tech

The+Tech

Trent Allison, Writer

It may seem small, but the difference between freshman and senior year is quite the gap. When senior, Elizabeth Gordinier, entered highschool as a freshman, she knew nothing about how she would spend her next four years. Even further, she didn’t expect her theater tech hobby to grow into such a wonderful community. 

Freshman year, she had multiple friends involved with theater, so she decided to talk to Mrs. Debbie Zazaian,  one of the adults that help keep the theater department running. After a quick interview, Mrs. Zazaian had decided to give Elizabeth the role of being the lighting director and put on stage crew.

While working as a part of the stage crew, she got the opportunity to build sets for the plays, musicals, and work behind the scenes. 

This inspired Gordinier to work harder to get the promotion she wanted within the program. As the years went on, she observed the more exxperienced students to fully understand the lighting board. She always made sure the cues were on time and kept everything organized. 

Over time, this diligence paid off when she got promoted to stage manager.

When becoming a stage manager, you get to become the head director’s right hand. Gordinier quickly gained a lotof responsibility and recieved a lot of trust to complete important tasks. However, this new schedule and role didn’t throw her off. She used skills she learned as an underclassmen to keep progress moving.

“I make a schedule first, and make sure everyday I get everything done. I go with the flow, so I’m always on schedule, whether I miss something or not,” Gordinier said.

Not only does she use this tactic at home, she uses it at school. In theater, she is known as one of the most organized, energetic, and nicest people. She’s always encouraging her fellow cast members to do their best. To ensure morale stays high during long performances, she gives the cast smiley stickers either before or after they go on the stage. 

“I’m a very energetic person and I always keep stickers on me, so before the shows I’ll stick them on them to say ‘You did good!’ or give them high fives to pass on how much energy I have.”

Although, her role as stage manager also requires her to pull actors and actresses through tough moments and help them feel prepared to perform. She makes sure to check in on everyone and wants everyone to feel cared about and supported. 

After 4 years and 11 plays, Gordinier doesn’t plan to do this the rest of her life, but she doesn’t want to completely leave it behind. Next year, she will go to Michigan State University for a major in sociology, but a minor in stage managing.