The Student News Site of West Bloomfield High School

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

Band Members are Putting the Pep in Pep Band.

After a great marching band season, the idea of a pep band is coming to light as these dedicated band members want to continue. Headed by sophomores Amélie Craig and Kayla Fekaris, who both have two years of experience with the school’s band programs, a pep band is in the works.

In the past, the marching band´s workload left no room for a traditional pep band off-season. However, recognizing the collective interest in continuing for the spring season, Amélie and Kayla, along with a group of like-minded individuals petitioned a pep band that will be appearing at 4 confirmed basketball games. For reference, a pep band is a marching band without the marching. The focus in pep band is placed on playing popular, well-enjoyed stand tunes between breaks or plays in a game.

The pep band will raise the energy of the student section and hopefully promote a larger crowd for the games.

The popularity and participation in the pep band has grown steadily since its inception. The dedication and enthusiasm of these members has been infectious, spreading the idea among their peers like wildfire,  all the way up to the band director. 

A pep band has not existed in at least a decade and band member  Rylie Schell stated that “the marching band had a successful season, and we don’t want it to end.” Creating a pep band would allow band activities to continue into the winter, which is one of the driving factors for the push of a pep band. This is a monumental occasion and band members are buzzing with anticipation. 

Making their first debut on December 12, the pep band will be cheering on the girl’s and boy’s basketball teams. With other dates like February 1st, February 6th, and February 23rd, support these determined band members by coming to the games (along with the athletes). An interest meeting will additionally be held on November 11th for considering members, the time and location of the meeting is still TBD. For more information concerning pep band, contact Mr. Sacks at [email protected]

.