Laker Sports Line

Week of February 16- February 21

The WBHS Administration hangs the Cheer teams banner for their 1st place prize at districts.

Last week’s athletic events were down to the wire and overflowing with action. Basketball, wrestling, cheer, and hockey were all in the spotlight last week and dominated their competition.
The Varsity Boys Basketball team ventured into a busy 3 game week and looked to continue their 7 game win streak. The Lakers first took on Avondale High School on Tuesday in a last second nailbiter. The two teams were neck and neck throughout the match and the game came down to the final seconds. After a missed Avondale free throw, the Lakers threw a desperate half court heave with three seconds left, but it was just short and Avondale stole an away victory, 67-66. Trishton Jackson (junior) led the team with 21 points and Gervon Winn (junior) was right behind him with 17. The Lakers looked to bounce back against Birmingham’s Groves High School and did. The Lakers remained close throughout the entirety of the match to finish the third quarter down by 4, 44-40. In the fourth, WBHS’ offense exploded to outscore their competition by 10, 29-19. The Lakers took the 69-63 home victory over Groves. Center, Zach Allread (senior) carried the team and finished with an outstanding 28 points. The Varsity team concluded the week at the Athletics Center O’rena for the Battle of Bloomfield against Bloomfield Hills High School (BHHS). The Lakers controlled the game throughout to finish with the 73-61 victory. The boys varsity team has now improved to 15-2. The WBHS Boys Freshman Basketball team also took to the court last week. The freshman brezzed past their Avondale competition with a final score of 55-38. Ethan Mathew (freshman) led the Lakers with 12 points and dominated the boards with rebounds. The Lakers carried their energy to the next game against Groves to pick up the 47-35 victory. The freshman were unable to continue their winning streak against BHHS in the Battle of Bloomfield and fell by just 10, 49-39.
The WBHS Varsity Hockey team fought hard and finished the week strong with two wins and a loss. The Lakers first took on L’Anse Creuse High School on Wednesday. The Lakers fought hard and scored three goals in the second period to send the game into the third all tied up. Despite their hard efforts, the Lakers just could not find the back of the net and lost with a final of 4-3. Andrew McDonald (junior) scored two goals and JD Long (sophomore) finished with one. WBHS then proceeded to take on Warren Mott High School and escaped with a solid 4-1 victory. The Lakers assaulted the opponent’s goalie with an incredible 81 shots on goal, yet they could only find the back of the net on 4. Sean Wigler (senior) led the team with 2 goals. Cameron Dickenson (junior) and Drew Warneke (junior) scored one apiece. The Lakers carried their momentum over to Saturday at St. Mary’s Ice Arena to take a huge 7 point victory, 8-1, against Ann Arbor Skyline. WBHS dominated every aspect of the game to score 3 goals in each the second and third periods and 2 in the first. David Weaver (senior) and Andrew McDonald each scored 2 goals, while Josh Ramsey (sophomore), Michael Kolodin (senior), Andre Kilpela (junior), and Daniel Kassab (sophomore) finished with one goal. With the victory, goalie, Anthony Crews (sophomore) sealed his 14th win this season with 23 saves. WBHS improved to 14-7-2 on the week.
On Saturday, the WBHS Varsity Cheer team competed in their district competitions at Troy Athens High School. The Lakers finished in a solid 10th place out of 25+ teams, but unfortunately only the top 4 moved to states. The cheer team made an exceptional run this season and dominated everywhere they went. Congratulations on a great season Lakers!

The Varsity Girls Basketball team took to the court this past week in two very exciting games that were each decided by 2 points or less. On Thursday, the Lakers competed against a very talented Lake Orion team and fell in a devastating loss in the final minutes of the game. The game remained tight all night long and the Lakers concluded with a 2 point, 35-37, loss. WBHS looked to bounce back on Saturday on the big stage at Oakland University and they did just that. Just like the game on Thursday, WBHS remained in close proximity to their competition, but found a way prevail. With only seconds remaining, Charlika Stubbs (junior) took the game winning shot and drained it to put her team ahead by just one, 57-56. Rachael Harnish (senior) led the team and finished with her game high, 19 points and 5 boards. Taylor Pierce (junior) dominated the glass to finish with 13 strong rebounds.
The Varsity Wrestling individuals dominated at the individual regionals this past Saturday, as all three WBHS wrestlers in competition made states. These wrestlers included Matt Gudenau (senior) in first, Deshawn Cole (senior) in third, and Justin Hollins (senior) in fourth. The State tournament will be held at the Palace of Auburn Hills on March 5th.
Never forget to come back weekly for your Laker Sports Line update. Go Lakers!