Laker Sports Line

Week of February 23-February 28

The Varsity squad.

Twitter: @WBgirlsbball

The Varsity squad.

The WBHS Boys Basketball matched up against Stoney Creek High School on Friday and looked to beat them for the second time this season. The Lakers maintained a substantial lead throughout the contest and outscored their competition in almost every quarter to finish with the 65-46 victory. Center, Zach Allread (senior) led his team with 19 points and 10 boards for a double double and just behind him, guard, Trishton Jackson (junior) finished with 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists. The WBHS Freshman team followed in their big brothers footsteps and defeated Stoney Creek, 49-39. Both teams look to take on Seaholm away on Thursday, March 5th and the final game of the season on Friday, March 6th against Oxford at home.
The WBHS Hockey team split their matches this past week with a win and a loss. The Lakers first matched up against Churchill High School on Wednesday. After scoring one goal in the first period, the Lakers found the net twice in the second to knot the game up at 3 apiece, but that was all the Lakers managed to do. Churchill dominated the third period and scored two goals to go up 5-3 and take the victory. Lakers, Drew Warnecke (junior) tallied two goals and Daniel Kassab (sophomore) finished with one. WBHS bounced back in their second game of the week against bitter rival, Bloomfield Hills High School (BHHS). The Lakers were the first to score with an Andrew McDonald (junior) goal in the first period. BHHS was quick to respond and tied the game up at one in the second. Both teams then battled fiercely in the third for the game winning goal, but neither team could find the net until with three seconds left in the match, Andre Kilpela (junior) scored an outstanding, clutch goal to escape with the 2-1 victory. With the Laker’s narrow victory, Anthony Crews (sophomore) took his 15th win on the season, as he only allowed one goal.
The Varsity Girls Basketball team battled hard against their opponents last week, but were unable to pull through with any victories. The Lakers first took on Oxford High School on Tuesday and were completely beat throughout to lose with a final score of 36-16. The Lakers only scored two points in the second quarter. Rachael Harnish (senior) finished with the team high nine points of which consisted of three three pointers. On Wednesday, WBHS fell by just two points to Avondale. The Lakers fought extremely hard to keep the game in close proximity, but fell apart in the final minutes of play to give Avondale a slim 33-31 victory.
The Boys Swim and Dive team competed in an OAA Boys League Meet (White Divison) at Clarkston High School. Overall as a team the Lakers finished in an outstanding 2nd place with a final score of 406, just five points away from Clarkston with 411. Charlie Vincent (junior) finished in first place out of 16 others in the boys 50 yard freestyle, Tyler Edwards (senior) finished first in the boys 200 yard freestyle, Edwards also finished first in the boys 500 yard freestyle, and WBHS relay team, consisting of Jacob Thoma (senior), Josh Plyer (sophomore), Charlie Vincent, and Tyler Edwards, finished first in the 400 yard freestyle relay.

Come back next week for more Laker Sports Line!