Laker Sports Line

Week of March 16-March 21

The WBHS JV Boys Lacrosse team

Spring sports are back! WBHS’ Girls soccer, Boys lacrosse, and WinterGuard teams were all in action this week.
JV Girls Soccer trudged through the battlefield on Wednesday, March 25, but unfortunately suffered a 4-0 loss to Walled Lake Northern (WLN). The JV team looks to bounce back next game after this tough loss. WLN had the strategy of playing wide and getting the ball to the offense, which would allow them to not have to take the ball up the middle through the defense.  Girls Varsity Soccer also lost to WLN by a score of 6-0. Although things may not be looking up for the JV and Varsity Soccer teams, it is still only the very beginning of the season and there is still plenty of time for the team to improve on their team chemistry and skills.

The WBHS Winter Guard took their talents to the big stage at the MCGC competition at Lakeland High School. Varsity performed very well to finish in a solid 6th place overall, which got the team a 6th place ticket to the state competition. The JV team was exceptional at the competition, as they finished in an outstanding 2nd place and a spot at states. Come out and support the WBHS Varsity and JV Winter Guard at the MCGC 2015 Guard State Championships at Saginaw Valley State University. The WBHS Junior Varsity performance will begin at 9:52 am and Varsity competes at 7:31pm. Good luck Lakers!
The Boys Varsity Lacrosse team traveled to Canton to take on Salem High School for their first match of the season. The Lakers started with momentum and maintained energy early on, but Salem immediately bounced back to finish with the 9-4 final. Jarrell Ku (senior) dominated for the Lakers and concluded with 3 goals. Josh Averbuch (senior) finished with one. The JV lacrosse team then took on Salem and unfortunately finished with a similar result and a 15-2 loss. Nathan Kinner (sophomore) and Braden Summers (sophomore) scored one apiece. The WBHS lacrosse program is very young, but has and will continue to rapidly expand and excel. They have great potential to be one of the best teams in the county. The boys lacrosse team looks to take down Bedford on their own home field on Thursday, March 26.

Make sure to stop by next week for more Laker Sports Line!