Laker Sports Line

October 19-24

This week’s edition of Lakers Sports Line is action packed and thrilling!

Starting with Varsity Soccer. West Bloomfield faced off against Walled Lake Central on October 19. The Lakers took a loss in the first round of districts with a final 0-2.

Moving on to Varsity Volleyball. The Lakers had a huge tournament, the Groves Tournament on October 24, against several schools. First they stormed the courts with pride against Groves High School. Lindsey DuFresne (senior) has been dominating all season long and continued tonight. She had 14 assists and 4 kills against Groves. Gabi Allread (senior) and Shannon Heald (senior) also had 4 kills. Nyla Greer (junior) chipped in with 3 kills. On defense Greer accumulated 4 blocks along with Audrey Kohl (junior) who also mustered up 4 blocks. Lauren Powers (junior) boosted the Lakers to the win with her 10 digs. Later they went head to head with Troy Athens High School. The Lakers were sound on defense and solid on offense as well, only committing 2 errors. In the 2-0 win DuFresne had 13 assists and 9 digs, accompanied with efforts by Heald and Vanessa Vigier (junior) with 3 kills each and Allread with 7. Next was the match against Shrine Catholic High School which was also a 2-0 win for the Lakers. DuFresne had 13 kills yet again followed by 4 kills. Allread and Greer each had 6 and Heald and Vigier had 2 a piece. Defensively Greer had 2 block kills, DuFresne had 8 digs and Heald added with 5. Berkeley High School was the Lakers next victim, again resulting in a 2-0 win for West Bloomfield. DuFresne, never failing to amaze, collected 15 assists in the match. Allread, another big name for the Lakers was successful with 8 kills. The third member of the terrific trio, Vigier, finished with 5 kills. Britney Karcho (junior) chipped in to the Lakers effort with her first game with 2 kills. Heald dug 10 balls on defense and helping her was Powers with 8 of her own. Warren Cousino went down after in 2 straight sets. DuFresene had 14 assists and Allread had 8 kills. Greer and Powers also helped the Lakers, Greer with 4 kills and Powers with 6 digs. Next match West Bloomfield won again against Athens with a massive beating. DuFresne had a whopping 21 assists and Allread with a smashing 11 kills and 10 digs. Heald followed with 6 kills, Greer with 4 blocks and 4 killls and Kohl with 2 block kills. After a huge day of success, the Lakers were sitting happy on top of the competition with a very successful outcome in the tournament.

Friday night, possibly the most anticipated game of the entire season for the Lakers, was a gamew against Farmington Harrison.  The Lakers struck first with a 50 yard touchdown run by Davion Johnson (junior) and held a 7-6 lead going into the 2nd half after a Harrison touchdown. after being down a touchdown the Lakers tied it up on a pass to Garrett Winn (junior) from Trshton Jackson (senior). Jackson also won the game for West Bloomfield on a 60 yard punt return for a touchdown with only one minute left in the game. On defense they sacked Harrison’s quarterback twice within the minute and Jackson intercepted a pass to seal the win for the Lakers and finish the season with a perfect 9-0 record. 

This week was one of the most exciting ones yet for West Bloomfield and for Laker Sports Line! Come back next week for more Laker Sports Line!