Laker Sports Line

Week of October 12-17

Photo Credits: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAYQjB1qFQoTCN6PqtiZ_MgCFcZbHgodlz4NAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.candgnews.com%2Fsports%2Fwest-bloomfield-high-football-young-and-learning-it-goes&bvm=bv.106923889,d.dmo&psig=AFQjCNETAE8XDYqTJwJPK8kx2sJC3mRq_A&ust=1446913126812170

This week of Laker Sports Line has tons of games, matches, scores, stats, and more! Volleyball, Soccer, Field Hockey, and Football are the big three this week for the Lakers.

To kick off, on October 13 the Lakers lost 1-3. Grant Jones (sophomore) scored the only goal for the Lakers. Seaholm High School scored 3 goals in the second half to come back and handed the Lakers a tough loss.  The Varsity Soccer team participated in the second Battle of the Bloomfields on October 15. West Bloomfield scored 3 goals in the second half of the game against Bloomfield Hills to collect a comeback win with a final of 3-2. Armin Niksimae (junior), Jones, and Noah Loveless (senior) scored goals for the Lakers and Rei Mizuno (sophomore) helped the Lakers with an assist. The JV soccer team was also active this week. On October 13 the Lakers lost to Seaholm with a final of 0-1. 2 days later, October 15, in the Battle of the Bloomfields, the JV Lakers lost 0-2 to Bloomfield Hills.

Varsity Field Hockey were up and ready this week. On October 12, the Lakers played University of Lidgett High School and suffered a 0-10 loss. The Lakers lost another game against Regina High School with a final of 1-2.Brianna Cohen (junior) scored her first goal of the season.

Friday night was a crucial game for the Lakers as it would allow them to capture a League Title for the first time in 34 years. The game on October 16 was against Stoney Creek High School. The Lakers won by a large margin due to their great offensive efforts. Garret Winn (junior) scored two touchdowns for the Lakers. Scoring on defense was Navon Mosley (senior) with 3 interceptions, one of them being an 80 yard return for a touchdown. Following Mosley was Evan Foster (senior) with a 40 yard touchdown return off an interception as well. Theo Majette (senior) was a big contributor to the defense with 3 tackles and a sack. The Lakers continued their already astounding season and as of now their postseason chances are looking mighty strong.

Girls Varsity Volleyball was also on a roll this week as they rocked up a few victories. Starting on October 13 against Farmington Harrison, on of their rivals, the Lakers had a 3-1 win in 4 matches. Lindsey DuFresne (senior) continued her amazing offensive performances with 32 assists, making it the third time she’s reache that number this season. Gabi Allread (senior) and Shannon Heald (senior) helped propel the Lakers to the victory with 29 kills combined, Allread finished with 16 and Heald with 13.  Vanessa Vigier (junior) and Nyla Greer (junior) also contributed to the Lakers efforts with 5 kills each. The Lakers had strong defense as well with 3 players getting double-digit digs. Lauren Powers (junior) with 16, DuFresne with 13, and Avra DeYoung (senior) with 11 helped the Lakers collect the victory and continue their impressive season. This win helped them clinch the OAA white division League title which the West Bloomfield has not won since 1995, a whopping 20 years.

A special congratulations goes to former Laker athletes Erin Finn and Chris Heald of whom were awarded with Distinguished Scholar Awards from the Big Ten Conference at the University of Michigan. In order to be rewarded with such an honor one must be a letter-winner by at least their second academic year at their University and a minimum 3.7 grade-point average. Erin Finn hopes

The Lakers had a very successful week and look to fly high above the competition next week. Come back next week for more Laker Sports Line!