WBHS MSA Dominates at MIST

Recently, the West Bloomfield High School MSA took part in the MIST tournament at Wayne State University.

Avani Samandur and Lauryn Azu

Recently Muslim Student Association members  of West Bloomfield High School competed in MIST, or the Muslim Inter-Scholastic Tournament, that took place at Wayne State University during the weekend of March 19th-20th. At the tournament, students competed in events that were a part of many different categories, including art, tajweed (recitation of the Quran), sports, short film, spoken word, debate, math olympics, web design, rap, improv, and many more. WBHS MSA competed against many other Detroit-area high schools, such as East Lansing High School, Bloomfield Hills High School, Troy High School, Harrison High School, International Academy, Canton High School, and many more. MIST was first created by a student in Houston, Texas, to develop leadership, promote communication, and inspire creativity while gaining a deeper understanding of Islam. It takes place in 15 regions across North America, including in Canada!

During the competition, students also have the opportunity to attend “MISTalks” which are scattered throughout the event. Sidra Sinan, sophomore,  says that her favorite part of MIST was “chanting for WB with the team”, because it made them feel spirited and united. MISTalks included topics such as Integration without Assimilation, Inspiration in Diversity, and many more.Image-1-2

Nasser Junedi, junior, says that participating in MIST is worthwhile because,  “It just exposes you to a good culture of people.”

The students who participated in MIST from WBHS were Areesha Shahab, Amina Sharif, Attiya Jaura, Hafsa Bilal, Khizar Jaffry, Mahnoor Waheed, Minhal Ansari, Nasser Junedi, Nawaal Nizam, Niha Khan, Rooha Tariq, Shazal Khan, Shehr Asghar, Shehryar Ahmed, Sidra Sinan, Usman Waheed, Usaydh Habib, Zofishan Zahid, Muhammad Zahid, Abdullah Mahmood, Ghassan Abunada, and Muhammad Abunada. mist group 2 

Congratulations to the WBHS MIST team on a great competition!