West Bloomfield snatches victory against Farmington High School

Lakers win by large margin

Ryan Horwitz

The Lakers faced Farmington High School at 7 o’clock on Friday, October 21 at West Bloomfield High School and finished on top with a final score of 56-13.

The Lakers struck first and without hesitation when Davion Johnson, running back, received the ball from a direct snap and dashed 80 yards for the first score of the game. Johnson has also recently committed to Miami of Ohio for football. Congratulations, Davion! Taj Mustapha, wide receiver, also scored a pair of touchdowns off of passes from quarterbacks Sean Gilliam and Bryce Veasley. These touchdowns were 65 and 82 yards, respectively. Mustafa finished with 3 catches, 2 touchdowns, and totaled 157 yards.

Slotback Kamario Powell caught his first pass and proceeded to score his first career receiving touchdown for the Lakers. Showcasing their skills were some young freshmen, Anthony May and Cornell Wheeler, who displayed great things and had the spectators in anticipation for what is to come in the near years. The Lakers played stellar defense on Friday, forcing 7 punts from Farmington as well as recording 5 sacks as a team.

After this week’s victory the Lakers have a record of 5-4. Next week they will face 9-0 Bloomfield Hills High School, an old rival in the classic “Battle of the Bloomfield’s”, however this is nothing like that. With it now being playoffs, it is not just a more competitive match because of the rivalry. The loser of this game will be done for the season, and neither team wants to end their season when they’ve come so far.

It can be said that this game is one of the most highly anticipated games this year, not just between the players, but the student bodies as well. All Lakers, come show support for the L-Boyz on Friday, October 28 at 7 o’clock at Bloomfield Hills High School!