Counselor of the Week: Ms. Essig

Ryan Horwitz and Melissa Strome

Ms. Essig told Spectrum some wonderful things this week. Here’s what she said:

How long have you been a counselor?

8 years

How long have you been in the West Bloomfield School District?

This is my second year at WBHS

Which groups of students are on your caseload?

Seniors TJ-Z and 9th to 11th – TF-Z

What is something that you are looking forward to at WBHS?

I look forward to every day at WB. I love the positive energy from the students to the staff!

Where did you work before coming to WBHS?

I worked at Milford High School for 5 years as a high school counselor, and 1 year with Midland Public Schools. Prior to that I worked in the Admissions Office at Central Michigan University as an Assistant Director of Admissions. I also worked at Bowling Green State University as a Residence Hall Manager. I spent one year at Truman State University in Missouri as a Hall Director and Panhellenic Advisor.

Where did you graduate from?

I graduated from Central Michigan University with my bachelor’s degree and from Bowling Green State University in Ohio with my Master’s degree in Counseling. Fire up Chips!

What is one piece of advice you’d give to freshman?

“Don’t be shy…ask for help”. We are so fortunate to have numerous resources for students to be successful. We can’t help if we don’t know you are struggling. We care about you and want you to be successful. Whether it be academic or personal…. we are here to help.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to seniors?

“Don’t overlook opportunities….be open minded.” Many times I meet with students who have tunnel vision….and they miss opportunities! For example, keep an open mind when exploring colleges and universities…. There are so many wonderful opportunities at ALL universities…. rather than looking only at U of M or MSU (both great schools no doubt) be open to the scholarship and internship experiences that a mid-size or smaller college can offer. I’ve seen students with financial difficulties pass up opportunities for near full ride scholarships to attend a larger school… and I don’t understand why! It’s important to look at the “return on your investment” when selecting a college. Creating debt that will take decades to pay off may be a decision you regret down the road. Be open minded and explore your options!

Do you have a motto that they follow?

My personal motto is “If not now, when?” Even though I still consider myself young, I’m trying to seize opportunities to learn, grow and enjoy the moments!