Inside WBHS’s Locker Art Program

West Bloomfield High School’s Locker Art program is a unique asset to the school.   “Locker Art is a school store run by the students,” teacher Ms. Sue Bowes said during the interview. “We sell seasonal (Halloween, Valentine’s, etc.) items, locker banners, birthday balloons, all kinds of products.” Locker Art truly has a wide selection of items to choose from for a low price. The program has been around for quite some time. “The program was started about 10 years ago by Ms. Kay Carpenter,” Ms. Bowes said.

Locker Art cart.
Locker Art cart.

The program does not just offer benefits to the students of the school, but to those who participate as well. “The purpose of Locker Art is to teach job skills, like being responsible, having assigned jobs, and running the cash register. It really helps those who are involved connect with other students.” Locker Art is very different from Laker Landing. For instance, the students create the products, rather than reselling them. “The students actually do create most of the products they sell,” she said. Locker Art is a great program, but how can you find out what products they offer? Where are they located? “We recently went around the school to different classrooms showcasing the products we offer. Locker Art is located in room 541, across from Ms McHardy. If the lights are on, we’re open!”

A display of products in the store.
A display of products in the store.