In the Swing of Things

West Bloomfield High School’s girls varsity golf team and coaches comment on fall season.

West Bloomfield High School’s varsity girls golf team had a great season this fall. This year, their record was 2-8. It is a little lower from last year’s score of 4-6 , but that is due to graduating seniors and adding many newcomers to the team. We asked the coaches and some players their thoughts on the way they played this year.

Coaches and West Bloomfield High School teachers Mr. Jeremy Denha and Mr. Steve Larkin shared what they enjoyed the most about this season.  Denha and Larkin said, “I enjoyed meeting and getting to know the new players to the program: Jennifer, McKenna, Peri, Brooke, Kaiyah, Amethyst, Kassidy, Sarah and Lindsay.  They are all good kids who will benefit from learning and playing a sport that they can play after high school. We tell our girls that golf will be something that you can take with you forever as opposed to a few other sports that do not allow for participation after high school. The second was seeing the progress we made as a team.  We started the year trying to learn the game for the majority of us and by the end of the year we were competitive in several league matches.  Our scores went from the mid 230’s in match play to an improved 210 average.”

Even though they agreed that this season was great, they still have higher goals for next year. They shared, “What we need to improve on is really building off of the momentum created this season.  We now are familiar with league rules, structure and competition and the next step for us is to improve our individual game to help the team in matches. We made great initial progress, now it is up to the girls to put the work in next summer before the season starts to help us win more consistently.” When asked about the positives of this team, Denha and  Larkin said, “We work very hard, prepare the right way and are focused. Those qualities are great to see from such a young team that we have.”

Teamwork is the key to success. It is especially important when different experience levels are featured. Even though girl’s golf is a varsity team, freshman players are able to play on the team and held to the same expectations. Amethyst Hall, 9th grader, said that being a freshman on a varsity team was, “A lot of pressure, but it helped me get to know more upperclassmen.” She also said that her favorite place to play was Beechwood.

Kassidy Myers, a freshman, said, “Coach Larkin gave me really good tips. Coach Denha helped me improve my swing.”  Hall agreed, saying that, “Mr. Larkin wants you to be the best you can be. Mr. Denha is very easy to talk to and is funny.”

When asked how the older players and younger players interacted,  Denha and Larkin stated,“Our seniors and juniors did a great job of bringing them along and helping instill the West Bloomfield Laker expectations. Helene, Taylor, Lizzy, and Heather along with a great Junior Varsity coach in Jeremy Denha did a wonderful job this year laying the foundation for what will be a competitive team next year.”

Junior Brooke Blind said, “ I loved playing against Farmington Hills, the girls there were so nice and easy to talk to, and their course is my favorite.” On playing with younger golfers, she replied, “I really enjoyed playing with all different grade levels, as you get to hear what is going on, and there is always something to talk about.” Commenting on the best part of the season, Blind said, “The season overall was great. We had great weather, fun memories, and new friendships. There was no ‘best’ part because everyday was fun in its own way.”

From left, 1st row : Coach Steve Larkin, Heather Healy ,Taylor Pierce, Kassidy Myers, Elizabeth Tepper, Sara Gradinarska, Coach Jeremy Denha Left, 2nd row; Helene Deutch, McKenna Lambert, Jennifer Haely, Brooke Blind, Lindsey Arthurs, Amethyst Hall.  3rd row; Peri Applefield, Kaiyah Rush
From left, 1st row :
Coach Steve Larkin, Heather Healy ,Taylor Pierce, Kassidy Myers, Elizabeth Tepper, Sara Gradinarska, Coach Jeremy Denha
Left, 2nd row; Helene Deutch, McKenna Lambert, Jennifer Haely, Brooke Blind, Lindsey Arthurs, Amethyst Hall.
3rd row; Peri Applefield, Kaiyah Rush
From left; Helene Deutch, Brooke Blind and Peri Applefield
From left; Heather Healy, Lindsay Arthurs, Helene Deutch , Taylor Pierce and Lizzy Tepper.