“Pepping” Our Way to Playoffs

Students and staff come together to support the varsity football team in playoffs

On October 31st, 2014, West Bloomfield High School (WBHS) held a pep assembly in order for students to get excited for West Bloomfield’s first playoff game of the season against Livonia Stevenson later that night. The school day was on a shortened schedule and at one o’clock all the students were released to the gym to start the festivities.

As per usual, sophomores and seniors were on one side of the bleachers while freshman and juniors were on the other. The varsity football team had the best seats in the house facing straight towards the big screen put up especially for the assembly.

The pep assembly started with the entrance of the football team, led by Swamp members, David Hotz and Robbie Jones with WBHS flags. Once the team had settled down, videos were played on the big screen highlighting the team’s best moments of the season, popularity on social media, and the players’ reflection on the season so far and their hopes for the rest of it. Afterwards, senior captains Clayton Kowalewski and Eddy Wilson gave speeches as well as Coach Ron Bellamy.

Then, some other football players participated in a game to test their sports ability. They each had balls from various sports (soccer ball, basketball, tennis ball, etc.) and their goal was to make as many baskets into a garbage can as they could. After two rounds, senior Obbie Jackson was deemed the winner. Afterward, the African American Awareness Club (AAA) performed a dance to Michael Jackson’s Thriller. Lastly, Seniors Robby Niehof and Roberto Escalante led the entire school into popular football game chants, ending with the student section’s rendition of “Row, Row, Row Your Boat (Gently Down the Swamp).”

The pep assembly aimed to get students excited for the first playoff game WBHS has participated in since 2008. This is only the third time in school history that the football team has made it to the playoffs and it was a time to celebrate as an entire school. “The pep assembly really did help people get excited for the game, it’s a really big deal going to playoffs,” said senior Aleena Mirza.

Go Lakers!