Laker Sports Line

Week of January 18-23

Ryan Horwitz and Ari Felhandler

On Tuesday January 19, the varsity boys basketball team faced Oak Park High School and won 51-39. The Lakers had a tough 3rd quarter in terms of shooting, but they shot through it and got back on a roll.Kevin McAdoo (junior) scored 15 for the Lakers accompanied by Trishton Jackson (senior) with 14 and Davion Johnson (junior) with 10. The next game on Friday the 22 was against Troy High School and was another successful outing with a final of 58-42. Again, McAdoo was a top scorer with 17 points, as was Johnson with 10.Tre Harvey (sophomore) had a season high of 11 points and Gervon Winn (senior) scored 12. The Lakers’ defense was on lockdown, holding Troy to just 9 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Girls basketball was also grinding this week and had a very strong game against Troy High School. In the 1st quarter the Lakers went on an 8-0 run and kept on pace from there. By halftime the Lakers led 23-11 and were not stopping there. In the 3rd quarter they went on a 14-2 run and the lead was increased to 37-13. Overall, the Lakers forced Troy to make 26 turnovers and overall had some top performers, including Charlika Stubbs(senior) with 14 points and 5 assists, Taylor Pierce (senior) finished with a double double, 10 points and 10 rebounds, in addition to 6 steals. Destini Cannon (junior) dropped 8 points and Jamia Elam (freshman) finished with 8 points and 10 rebounds.

Varsity Hockey was in action facing off against Monroe High School and won 7-3. Duncan Enright (junior) had an amazing 38 saves. JD Long (senior) had his 2nd consecutive hat trick game. Cam Dickinson (senior) chipped in to the Lakers’ effort with a goal and 2 assists. Their next game was on January 23 versus Oxford and it was yet another win. Amazingly, Long continued his hat trick game streak and extended it to 3 games. Ian Mcdonald (senior) scored 2 goals that game.
Things are looking good for the west Bloomfield High School athletics right now and we hope to see more. Come back next week for more Laker Sports Line!