The Student News Site of West Bloomfield High School

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

WBHS Media

John Meram: A Beacon of Hope in the Chaldean Community

In the diverse community of West Bloomfield there is a special man who from a young age dedicated his life to helping others in his community. John Meram stands out above others for his contributions to the chaldean community as well as his local church. He has become a shining example of compassion, generosity, and leadership in his respective communities, it was not always sunshine and rainbow for John Meram.

My goal in life is to show love and be there when people are in need. Helping my community is what God would want of me and making others feel good makes me feel good.

— John Meram

“Some difficulties I have to endure are the recent passing of my grandfather and having little to no free time for myself. It is very mentally taxing but knowing that God is on my side guiding me makes it all worth it,” said Meram.

Meram has been through a lot to be where he is today, but does not let that get in the way of his tasks. He is still a volunteer, employee, athlete, and student excelling at all of them.

“When the going gets tough, God is my number one motivation, also my parents have been through a lot just to come to America to give me the life I have, life back home is a lot harder than here so I want to make my parents proud of me,” said Meram.

Meram’s commitment to his church is unwavering even in times of little hope. He selflessly dedicated his energy and type to his local church helping out in church activities and programs. Meram goes above and beyond in his community. 

“My goal in life is to show love and be there when people are in need. Helping my community is what God would want of me and making others feel good makes me feel good,” said Meram.

A fellow church goer Nathan Kitto said, “He is always preaching the word of God anywhere he can, treating everyone as equals even if they are non believers making everyone feel loved no matter who they are.”

This shows how Meram’s warm and welcoming personality helps unity and spiritual growth inside and outside of his church.

As a proud member of the large Chaldean Community here in West Bloomfield. Meram recognizes the importance of preserving and promoting his rich family roots. Being a first generation American, Meram is still very good at speaking Chaldean, speaking it at home while at the same time being a fluent English speaker and is in the process of learning Arabic to communicate with other Arabic speakers in the West Bloomfield community. 

“Meram helps bring people closer to their culture and community,” said fellow member of the Chaldean Community, Leonardo Zoma. “He makes everyone feel like they fit in whether they are Chaldean or not.”

Soccer is not just a hobby for Meram it is a passion that fuels his determination. Despite the demanding life he lives he still is able to make time for another passion of his, soccer. Meram grew up with the sport of soccer. In his home country of Iraq, soccer is the national sport. Meram’s cousin, Justin Meram, is the person who inspired John to get into the soccer world. 

Justin Meram is a professional soccer player playing in the Major League of Soccer on the team Charlotte FC. He started off his soccer playing soccer for the University of Michigan then was promoted to play for the Iraq nation team in the World Cup representing his home country and culture. This inspired Meram to do the same which is why he plays soccer for both the high school and in the Chaldean Church Soccer League. 

Although Meram has had many accomplishments, the one that he is the most proud of revolves around soccer. Which explains why when asked what his proudest accomplishment is he responded by saying,

Winning the CCSL Championship with my friends is definitely up there,” he said. He believes that, “The sport allows me to connect with his family and friends as well as an escape from the stresses and difficulties in my life.”

Meram is also well known for being academically gifted in the classroom. He dedicates this skill and commitment to hard work to God and his parents motivating him to be better no matter what. 

Meram has a job, church, volunteering, and two soccer teams he plays on, is still able to make time to not only go to school but to succeed and excel at it too. Meram has managed to maintain a 4.3 gpa as a junior in high school while having all these extracurricular activities. 

All of this hard work is also noticed by his peers.

Arjun Singh said,“He has made such a significant positive impact in not only the classroom but many lives and is just a sight to watch out for. He is a man of many wonders.”

Meram is also a responsible worker, he is reliable and always on time no matter the circumstances. Whether it’s through effective scheduling, prioritization, or seeking support from colleagues, Meram has found a way to maintain a successful work-life balance. The key to Merams success in balancing his Chaldean Community, church, work, and soccer lies in his strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize. He understands the importance of setting boundaries and managing his time effectively.