Josh E Levine Foundation

It’s fun until… Our Mission To raise awareness of the risks of co-ingesting alcohol and stimulants; and to change the binge drinking culture among high school and college students.

Josh E Levine Foundation

The name Josh Levine is one the students and teachers here at WBHS have heard a lot of. Teachers having called it out for attendance four years in a row. Students had him as a subsitute. Now however West Bloomfield hears this name in remembrance and in a warning.The Josh E. Levine Foundation is heavily supported by the school and the community.  Though Josh’s story has been told many times over at the High School the foundation it’s self is not talked about. Josh’s mother Mrs. Julie Buckner answered questions about the foundation. “Within days of Josh’s death, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to move forward without doing something to work to prevent more tragedies. More than 6 people die daily from acute alcohol intoxication and that does not include from car accidents or other accidents,” Mrs. Buckner stated when asked about why she began this foundation. The overall goal of the foundation is to educate high school and collage students about the combination of stimulants and alcohol as well as working to change the culture around drinking in young adults. To continue on this forward path Mrs. Buckner said that, “We are working on some ideas that are not just anecdotal. I want to incorporate a workshop that gives concrete strategies and tips that will help prevent more fatal and nearly fatal situations. There are too many stories of people ending up in the hospital from too much alcohol.” Since Josh’s death in 2014 the foundation has had 10 different events ranging from a 5k marathon to talking to the football team at WBHS. To Mrs. Buckner, “Successes come from feedback: to have students thank me; to hear their stories of the changes they’ve made as a result of hearing Josh’s story. Success also comes every time I speak to a group; it’s another opportunity to make a positive impact on someone’s life.” She continues to push forward and make a larger and larger impact on the world in Josh’s name. Josh was and always will be a Laker and his name continues on at WB.
To see a video made for the foundation follow the link below
To view the website follow the link below
To read other articles about Josh follow the link below